TAQA’s North American oil and gas business is headquartered in Calgary, Canada and focuses on conventional oil and gas exploration and production.
Exploration and production rights
TAQA has extensive land holdings in North America which includes one million net acres of producing and 1.30 million acres of non-producing land. TAQA’s North American strategy is to realize the full potential of this land base through exploration and development drilling programs. Part of this strategy is to continue to consider acquisitions of land holdings that complement its core operating areas, while disposing of land that is not core to operations.
The North area encompasses all assets from the Alberta-Saskatchewan border west through Alberta and into Northeast British Columbia. Activity within the area is focused on appraisal and development of the Montney oil and liquids rich gas reserves and resources located in the Pouce Coupe are of northwest Alberta, as well as the further appraisal and development of the multi-zone oil potential in the greater Grande Prairie region. In total, the Group’s assets in this area span over 1.97 million acres. The company’s oil and natural gas production facilities in the North consist mainly of well site separation and dehydration, low pressure gas gathering systems, oil batteries and compressor stations. The company’s oil and natural gas production facilities in the North consist mainly of well site separation and dehydration, low pressure gas gathering systems, oil batteries, compressor stations and a gas plant in Whitecourt. Production in the area averaged 13,379 boepd in 2019.
The Central East area falls within central Alberta and focuses on development in the Caroline and Wilson Creek areas. The assets in this area cover approximately 580,000 acres. The Group’s crude oil and natural gas production facilities in the Central East area consist of well site separation and dehydration, extensive gas-gathering systems, and field and booster compressor stations. The Group operates the Bearberry and Sundre gas plants in this area, and has a working interest in several non- operated gas plants. The Central East area production averaged 11,425 boepd in 2019.
The Central West area falls within Central Alberta largely situation south and west of Edmonton, Alberta. The area contains the Sunchild Upper Mannville West Gas Development. In total, the Group’s properties span approximately 743,000 acres. The Group’s oil and natural gas production facilities in the area consist of well site separation and dehydration, extensive gas-gathering systems, and field and booster compressor stations. It also operates several central multi-well oil batteries including water disposal facilities. The Group operates several gas plants in the area and has a working interest in several non-operated gas plants. Production in the area averaged 38, 279 boepd in 2019.
The South area stretches across Southern Alberta and Southern Saskatchewan. In total, the company’s properties span approximately 906,289 acres. The company’s natural gas production facilities in the South area include the East Crossfield Gas Plant which it operates. There are central, multi-well oil batteries at Brant Farrow, Grand Forks, Viking Kinsella and Mikwan. The South are production averaged 15,177 boepd in 2019.
TAQA’s low pressure gas gathering systems and field compression stations are connected to processing infrastructure operated by both itself and other operators. There are central, multi-well oil batteries at Brant Farrow, Grand Forks, Viking Kinsella, Mikwan and Flat Lake.
The Red Oak power generation facility is a combined-cycle power generation facility in Sayerville, New Jersey of approximately 830 MW and is owned and operated by AES Red Oak LLC. TAQA owns 85% of the tolling agreement for the facility through its subsidiary TAQA Gen-X with partner Morgan Stanley owning the remaining 15%.
The tolling agreement gives TAQA Gen-X the economic rights over the facility, including revenue from the sale of electricity, capacity payments and any other ancillary services. In return, TAQA Gen-X is required to supply the fuel. Gas is currently procured through gas supply and transport agreements with Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (PSEG).
- Gross power generation capacity: 832 MW
- TAQA ownership: 85% of tolling agreement
The Lakefield wind project, located in Jackson County, Minnesota, consists of 137 General Electric 1.5 MW wind turbines with the capacity to generate 205.5 MW of emissions-free electricity for more than 68,000 homes. TAQA holds a 50% stake in the project with Indianapolis Power & Light Company and Marubeni Corporation holding 25% each.
- Gross power generation capacity: 205.5 MW
- TAQA ownership: 50%